Thursday, May 3, 2012

& I freaked out.

     Huron16_large_large

     This week, many classes at our school have been taken their End of Course test. I have't had to take one this semester, and of course I'm happy about that. EOC's aren't timed, and they often take a while to finish. Meanwhile, no one else in the school can go anywhere, they have to stay in first block until testing is over. Seeing as I like my first class, and it makes a perfect time for a nap, I was fine with that- I even brought a pillow.
     Napping is just what I did. There I was, sitting at my desk, with my legs crossed tucked under my seat, my head down on my pillow, with my arms squeezed around it. I was snug. Dreaming during naps are always so much easier to remember I find, I'm assuming because you aren't really in a deep sleep. My current dream was taking place at the beginning of the next school year, and I was sitting in a group talking about how we still I hadn't started soccer practice! Our new coach wasn't doing much of anything, we always started practicing in the summer, and we were already in school! The dream was very realistic, as it was just a conversation happening at school. It could easily happen. But I knew it was a dream. I knew I was sitting comfortable in my desk, in my first block class, napping because Biology was taking their EOC test, and I knew it was about time for me to wake up. I couldn't though. I tried opening my eyes- they wouldn't. I tried moving my legs, then my arms, neither moving the slightest. I started panicking- I couldn't wake up. I felt like I fought with myself for about two minutes before I finally had control over my body again. I was breathing heavily, and I was trying to contain myself, hoping no one would notice. What I had just experienced was terrifying!
     Apparently, usually everyone experiences this at least once. It's called Sleep Paralysis, and basically your mind wakes before your body. While in REM sleep, your body "paralyses" itself, thought to be so you don't act out your dreams.

In other news, this is my second day reading the fourth Harry Potter book- the Goblet of Fire, and I'm about half way finished! I'll be done with the series in no time!

No comments: